...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

today is the greatest...

this weekend officially goes down as one of the most glorious 48 hour periods we have had in our area of the world in some time.

gorgeous.

if gorgeous seemed appropriate enough a description.

today was the type of day you want to tuck inside a decorated box as the sun sets so you can pull it out every few minutes to peek inside as a reminder that yes, something this glorious does actually exist.

we've been taunted by such wonders for a bit now. temperatures that have teased us just enough to prompt us to poke our noses out the door and journey out sans jackets. today, as we hit a high of 81, the thought of jackets and gloves became (fingers crossed) a memory, and short sleeved shirts (hopefully) become the norm.

this weekend a brief rain shower reintroduced us to green grass and tulips aching to burst out from softened ground. windows thrown open raised the sound levels outside as kids raced the streets on their bikes and scooters. i caught my first hint of a barbecue tonight as the neighbors dined alfresco.

i also reaffirmed the working condition of our doorbell as neighbor kids made 15 minute rounds over the course of four hours to see if my absent sons could come out to play.

that's right. the day was made even more pleasant by the fact that i languished on my deck, silent and alone aside from the wind and 16 different trips to the front door to gaze down at yet another dirty little boy found ringing my doorbell. today was a reprieve from the dwindling hours of spring break togetherness. i could have left the house. done something decadent and deserving.


sometimes you just shouldn't, though. sometimes you should just take it in.

and i'd like to tuck that part of things away in my decorated box as well. to peek at from time to time as a reminder to stop and enjoy. to think "can't wait for tomorrow."

gorgeous.

if gorgeous seemed appropriate enough a description.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger The Savage said...

You are crushing the head of the sun... you are so kids in the hall... I lust that about you....

Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Confused Husband said...

Wow that's gotts hurt. Holding the sun in your fingures. Just another kick ass thing about you.

One thing wrong with the picture. Where's the fence that sepparates your yard from the neighbors? Where's the privacy?

Glad you enjoyed the weekend.
CH

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:21:00 AM  
Blogger Fusion said...

My last two days off were like that! Glad you had some time to relax.
I'm not looking at 80's for at least another two months up here in north idaho. But I'm heading to L.A. in two days...got my shorts and t-shirts packed!

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:31:00 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

That does look like one nice weekend you guys had over there, and so green to boot. Good 2CU making the most of it.

Monday, March 26, 2007 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger FTN said...

In the full-size picture, I can totally see your hairy sasquatch neighbor. He's naked in a window of the house on the right.

"Gorgeous?" Not so much.

Oh... So can *you* come out and play? I'm thinking a killer game of kickball in the cul-de-sac would be fun.

We could call it "Kickassrack-Ball."

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yeah... Why are you crushing the sun?

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Recovering Soul said...

Sunshine, between my fingers, makes me happy....

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

YEAH SPRING!! Finally, some wonderful weather. Maybe it was just me but Winter seemed to hang around forever this year... if Global Warming is true, then I wish it would come over to visit me. :)

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

oh please soak some of that up on my behalf as well? Please?
Stacie

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Simply divine!

I love the picture....hmmm, which house will be mine?

stdxk

I've never heard of that std.....

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:25:00 AM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

savage - i lust over the fact that you were the first person who referenced my obvious pop culture set up. 99.9999% of the suns need crushed!

confused - in my spare moments, i moonlight (sunlight?!) as a superhero, able to harness the power of the sun via my fingers and unleash its mighty fury on unsuspecting villains. yes. i truly am that kick ass.

as for the fence, we live on the open range of the suburbs, where buffalo and children roam free. and trust me. they roam free. some days i come home and my backyard is like the neighborhood playground.

fusion - sounds like you have a busy schedule on your trip, but hope you get a chance to enjoy the weather, scenery and whatnot while you're in l.a.

ben - if making the most of it is sitting around basking in it, then i'm hoping to make the most of it on a routine basis. if weather here doesn't cooperate, look for me on your patio.

ftn - big foot was the one grilling. you quite likely could see his reflection in the windows of the house behind me. of course, he's so freakin' hairy, he blends in with the drapes.

the impulse to ask if you would be one of the dirty little boys ringing my doorbell constantly is great, but i'll refrain. however, if the game is kickassrack-ball, then it's game on, my friend. game. on.

then we can retreat back to my house for cookies.

chag - to prove i can, my friend. to prove i can.

rs - thank you, once again, for bringing me the music! i bet that idea hit you and you couldn't type fast enough to get it out! i know. i've been in the same place...

art - i'm of the opinion that spring can stick around all year. i can live with the rainstorms, i can tolerate the birds waking up at 3 a.m. to chirp outside my open windows while i try to sleep. i can live with anything other than snow and extreme heat. but i'll spare some spring if it heads in your direction!

stacie - i'm a pale girl. i'd bathe in spf 120 were it available. i wear sunglasses at all times. however, because you asked nicely, i'll step out for a few minutes and risk it for you!

nanette - one house over from me, still for sale. please come be my neighbor...

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Summer Rose said...

I really wanted pictures of the snow, Oh well maybe next winter. As spring has turned into a chance of T-showers today. I thought this was suppose to be march? Nice green back yards. I'm all for warmer weather after today.
S.R.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like those first days of real spring in the Midwest.

fcscvi

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

summer - oh, i'm sorry! i forgot the winter pictures! heh...i'm afraid of jinxing things, though, if i pull them out now! my oldest is adament that he will only be wearing shorts from now on and i don't know if i'm up to enduring his wrath!

finished - the first days of spring in the midwest are spectacular!

Sunday, April 01, 2007 11:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home